/*NSG-M2*/ /*NSG-M2*/

Friday, November 13, 2009

Flashback Friday - Sesame Street... not for preschoolers?

Those of you who've been around since I started doing Flashback Friday will remember it got started in honor of the Sesame Street that WAS. The Sesame Street of the 70s that has morphed into this sugary fantasy of some boardroom exec that kids find too lame to watch. Sesame Street! Lame! Never would I have imagined I would hear little kids use those two words in a sentence describing this show that shaped so many of us.

Well I came across this article last night and learned that DVDs of the older Street episodes from the 70s come with the DVD Disclaimer: 'Sesame Street' Classics 'These early Sesame St episodes are intended for grownups and May Not Suit Needs of Today's Preschool Child'

May Not Suit the Needs of Today's Preschool Child.

How can they downplay their legacy, and the millions of fans who are adults now but became fans in preschool and throughout life. The lessons of Sesame Street were primarily for preschoolers of course, but there were life lessons that appealed to all age ranges as well!

What was it in the earlier episodes that was INTENDED for adults?
There's more to a book than its cover? (Look closer - Apple Tree)


How to make Peanut Butter?


I agree that there were things in the 70s programming that wouldn't measure up by today's standards, but then again we drove around with kids in the back of station wagons in those days... Things were different then.

But come on, classics live on forever...




5 comments:

Liz Mays said...

I loved that show. I would sit there with the kids and enjoy it just as much as they did. :)

Unknown said...

I loved Sesame Street... How can they say it isn't suitable for preschoolers? *sigh*... I still let my son see the Sesame Street videos on youtube though! Haha!

angelina la dawn said...

i love love love this! i remember watching the peanut butter clip growing up in the 80's. thanks for the trip down memory lane :)

Claudya Martinez said...

Oh they are wrong and time will prove that the classics are where it's at.

Mandee said...

Not for preschoolers? That is crazy! Now I would say SpongeBob is the cartoon that is not for kids, but intended for adults, but not Sesame Street!

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails