I've told very few people about my doubts. Really close friends and family. I never want to say it because I don't want it to be true. And what do I know anyway. I have my suspicions, but I'm not an expert. But there is one thing I know. I know something isn't right.
I've decided to write about it tonight, because this is why I started doing this, isn't it. As an outlet? But even putting the words down I'm tearing up, I don't know how I can say this out loud to his doctor.
When he was born he never bonded with me. He wasn't anything like the first - he didn't smile, he didn't coo. But it was more than personality. He wouldn't make eye contact with me. He wouldn't stare at me like babies do - taking in their surroundings. I breastfed him, but he would just eat and be done. Very functional. I cried once, telling my husband I felt so used. Isn't that dumb? How dramatic and emotional, I mean babies at that age have no intent like that.
Then we thought he might have a hearing problem. He would just sit rock still and you'd be calling and calling him. His doctor noticed it without us saying and referred him to an audiologist. Turns out his hearing was fine. We put it down to personality - he's just on his own scene. But I had that voice. I knew then what I thought it was.
But friends thought it was amusing that he was anti-social. I saw something different. I saw him playing next to other little kids. And it made me so sad for him, that he didn't make friends. Except if you asked him about it, he'd tell you he had a great time! And that he played with everyone. Well he didn't play with anyone. He played near them, but never with them.
He would sit for hours lining up anything he could get his hands on. Like his crayons.
crayons with sleeves, sleeves only, crayons only
I'm surprised these aren't lined up exactly with the tile lines
And he'd build his puzzles over and over and over until - I kid you not - he knew them by heart and would turn them over and build them blank-side up. I am talking a 3 year old and 100-piece puzzles.This is a 24-piece puzzle, but he did the same with larger puzzles
He had difficulty expressing himself. And he was easily frustrated. Only God alone gave me the patience and strength to help him through that and teach him "use your words, baby". If he was frustrated he would go into spells where he would cover his ears, shut his eyes and scream. He was easily over-stimulated, and he did not deal well with change. Minor changes - like the cinema having a rope where there usually wasn't one to cordon off a VIP area - major meltdown.
In time I knew what to expect, and I would protect him. And try to teach him. I told my husband what I thought, and that I though that patiently teaching him how to use his words and to communicate was helping. Not in any dramatic quick way, but gradually so. And I saw a difference. He really started to blossom in his own way. I could worry less. But his academics...phew. Reading was tough.
He could learn the sounds of the letters. He could not, could not, could not put them together. He could not get the concept of joining those two sounds together. So far less for putting together funny ones like "th" and "sh". But we worked and worked at it. And once he got it. He got it. He's still like that. He may take a while to get something. But you never ever have to worry about that once he has it. He won't forget. And he will always understand math better than you will. It's like he has a number line in his head.
But in order to get him to get it, you had to reach him. I've worked with a lot of kids - taught briefly, tutored for a bit... I didn't know how to get that angle to reach him. No matter what I tried, it was like I couldn't reach inside and understand how his mind worked to be able to frame the idea to make it digestible. He sees the world in a totally different way. I loved to hear his descriptions. He would observe the same thing you did, but relay a totally new perspective to you. It would be true and right, but it would have never crossed your mind. You saw a car going east. He saw wheels moving together at the same speed with silver rims and whatever other obscure fact you missed, but was totally true. That's not even a good example. I'm talking totally different plane of thought.
I kept him back in preschool a year before letting him go into kindergarten. I wanted him to be ready. And I didn't want anyone
1. Misunderstanding him
2. Labelling him
3. Turning him off of learning
He's come a long long way. He plays with others now. He loves now and is perhaps my most affectionate child (although he only shows that side to us). Although he is still a compulsive perfectionist.
But it's starting to get difficult for me. I'm starting to acknowledge that I need help. I don't know how to help him read and understand the same thing we understand. I don't know how to help him cope with loud sudden noises, or crowds. I don't know how to help him cope with his activities being interrupted (the game crashed on the PC, his brother wants a turn...)
So tomorrow we take the first step in that journey. I just don't want him to be labelled. I don't want anyone thinking he has a handicap - something keeping him back.
Most of all, not himself.
By TwitterIcon.com












16 comments:
Wow, what an honest and tender post. I so get what you mean about "not wanting him labled". Also, I love the way you have found to reach him at his level over the years, through whatever he was going through.
Thinking of you.
Keep us posted.
Good luck with it all. It seems like you are the perfect person to care for him in the way that he needs. He's blessed to have such an understanding and patient mom. Be strong and don't let either of you get discouraged!
I really admire your candor. You need help, he needs help. You are doing the right thing. I'm sorry that labels and all that comes with them exists.
Good luck at your appointment and I hope you'll share with us how it went. I'll say no more until you've had a chance to speak with him. My thoughts are with you :)
I admire your honesty, especially with something this close to your heart. As a mother, I know it's difficult to ignore those nagging feelings you have in your gut. I hope your appointment goes well and that you receive the help, advice and support that you're seeking.
Good luck at the appointment. I have a friend who is going through some of the same issues with her eight year old right now. ((hugs))
What I picked up most from reading this is how incredibly tuned in you are to your child. Your child is blessed to have a mother liek you.I know that you'll find the resources and support you need. (((hugs)))
Just read this today and I'm thinking about you and your son. I hope the appointment was informative and helpful in a positive way. You sound like a wonderful mother, he's very lucky to have you.
Thanks for popping by my blog... And I am so glad you did, or I'd not know of yours either.
This is such a heartwarming story... Thanks for sharing, and I pray that both you & your son will be able to come out of this situation on top. :)
Take care!
Blessings!
Sandra
Oh, and psst... I so love your blog name!
I have a son with CAPD (Central Auditory Processing Disorder). It's like dyslexia of the ears and manifests itself differently in different people. If he's not looking at my mouth, he won't process everything you're saying. He can pass a hearing test at 100%, so finally in the 3rd grade we found a guy who did the 3 hour test on how he hears. I talk more about this and the frustrations both he and I experienced in the following post:
http://bluecottonmemory.wordpress.com/2009/07/13/faithful-indeed/
His frustration level was so high, his emotions tightly strung and spilling over. Imagine only hearing 3 out of 3 words correctly, not understanding why you're getting in trouble because aren't you doing what you're supposed to be doing? Your frustrations sound so similar to what mine were, but God gave him to YOU for a reason because He KNEW YOU would never give up until you found the solution!
Wow, I just came across your blog and found myself tearing up reading this post. Your honesty is so commendable. Thank you for sharing your heart. I will follow your blog. Please visit mine at http://sidac.blogspot.com
When I saw the title of your blog I was hooked and then I started reading some of your posts. As soon as I saw the blog with Temple Grandin, I knew we were kindred spirits. My son has Asperger's Syndrome and was not diagnosed until he was 8. Like you, we knew there was something not quite right, but couldn't put our fingers on it. He's now 22 and a senior in college. It's been a long, sometimes disheartening, but more often delightful road to get to where we are now. Hang in there and please know that you're not alone!
awww...
The first step... like you said. Is reaching out. You've done that... and now are on your way to finding answers. That's your job. Not your job to "fix" , "change" or "label." Your job to find help. I sought out help when my daughters anxiety issues became too much for me to handle.. i cried as I'm sure you did. I got answers and methods to try from experts who knew more than me.
You are his advocate. and I can't wait to hear what happens.
xoxox supah
Hey SITStah
I was a nanny for a "double-gifted" child last summer. Though I've known him almost his whole life, becoming his third parent was quite the experience.
With the internet, you're so lucky to have forums, books, and this blog to reach out for support.
If I may, my favorite books are on "love&logic." And now that I'm planning on going into teaching, the information still comes in handy. They have a website too.
You are a strong woman! Congrats!
What a profound, moving and honest post.
I'll read ahead to see what you discovered. But, I have a feeling, you already know in your heart.
Whatever the outcome, he will most certainly thrive with such an amazing mom.
Post a Comment