/*NSG-M2*/ /*NSG-M2*/

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sundays In My City - Sunday Drive

I'll be honest. With all that's been going, I really haven't put a lot of time into my Sundays in My City this week. But I can't very well just not post anything, can I?

So in true Trini tradition, we took the fam for a Sunday Drive.

This is a view of a beach in Chaguaramas, which I may have posted before. That's the bauxite factory in the background. I don't think they do much bauxite shipping anymore. I believe they act as a deepwater harbour for the alumina produced nearby Suriname, and the alumina is shipped worldwide (Baltimore, USA; Baie Comeau, Canada; and Mosjoen, Norway).


On the drive up into the capital city - Port of Spain - we pass some mangrove at the mouth of one of the main rivers in this area. The mangrove acts as a spawning ground for fish - critical to keeping the fish stocks up and maintaining the local fishing industry. There are also full of crab and pelicans and various other local wildlife.



Right across the boulevard (the Fore-Shore, as it's known) is the Hasely Crawford National Stadium. This is just a glimpse of a small section of it - the Jean Pierre Complex. It's a little bit sad and lonely on this Sunday afternoon. There's an Abnormally Large Flag flying in front of it, that always makes me wonder... I'll show that to you later on.


This is the very entrance to Down Town - the heart of the capital. This is the Ministry of Finance Twin Towers. You can't see the towers in this shot, but they used to be the highest buildings in the country for years.


Until that honour went to this beautiful building - Nicholas Towers. This is a beautiful office building and the view is absolutely stunning. My cousin has an office here, maybe I'll get to take some photos from there to show you the amazing view some time.



This is a stone's throw away - the Port of Port of Spain. A mouthful, I know. That's the T&T Spirit - the inter-island ferry that transports people and goods between the larger big-city island of Trinidad, and the beautiful peaceful island of Tobago.



These are some murals in this area, where the cruise ships dock.



And heading back down the road, here's another view of the Jean Pierre Complex and the Abnormally Large Flag. Seriously what is up with that flag?! Look at it next to the stadium lights! Now that is some serious National Pride! :-)



As we pass the Stadium on the right, and the mangrove on the left, we come to a long shallow bay. Families are out racing their tiny speedboats - see the red one in the tray of the blue pickup?



There's one racing away. He's losing actually :-) The winner is out of the shot.



And we say goodbye to these fine folks enjoying the last of the evening rays at the waterside.


Hope you enjoyed another tour of My City. See you next week, but first please check out Unknown Mami, who's hosting this fine world tour. There are lots of other countries and cities to be seen.



Unknown Mami


Shop MyJellyBelly.com Today!

11 comments:

Melissa said...

Beautiful murals! You should get some photos from that business tower and post, I bet the view is fantastic!

Liz Mays said...

That was fun! Those speedboats really are pretty tiny, by the way.

Claudya Martinez said...

Even when you are busy you provide a wonderful tour.

Anonymous said...

Hi I have something for you on my site.
Be happy
BM

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

Hey, Mom of Three... Nice to meet you! What a lovely place you have there. Maybe someday....

Unknown said...

Nice photos! Love the wall murals especially. :)

Joanna Jenkins said...

You are so sweet to take a drive to show us your Sunday! Thanks.
i especially like the murals!
xo

Sonya said...

I love the murals and the water! what a beautiful sunday drive you had!

ymK said...

Nice drive! We'll be waiting for pics from your cousin's office building soon.

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

Thanks for sharing your city! I'm ready to travel. Great photos!

supahmommy- somethin's wrong with that girl said...

I see my beach!

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails