/*NSG-M2*/ /*NSG-M2*/

Friday, September 11, 2009

Flashback Friday

Ok so in last week's Writer's Workshop I talked about Sesame Street, and how the new Sesame Street just doesn't match up to the old. A few of you responded and expressed that you felt the same way. So to you fellow original Sesame Street fans (I hear "Vintage" is what they're calling it - to which I respond "Do I look Vintage to YOU?!") I thought I'd share some of my favourite "Street" songs with you.

Capital I and Lowercase N


Everybody Sleeps (Classic Joe Raposo)


Now a more recent one, but before they gave the show to Elmo. Gotta love Kermit. Gotta love Joe Raposo.

Alphabet


Now this list can go on and on, so I think I'll make this a running Friday theme from now on. Check back every Friday and I'll post some memories for ya. :-)

Let me leave you with a quote from Joe Raposo himself, which I think expresses the vision that made Sesame Street the icon it became for my generation.

"Some educators have complained that the music on Sesame Street is too sophisticated for little ears, that we should curb the spontaneity of blues and rock and instead teach the children "Mary Had a Little Lamb." But what most educators don't realize is that the lamb left the nursery the day they brought the TV set in. Children are now exposed to and learn to love every conceivable style of music... And the beauty of our music is maybe that the child in the Grosse Pointe home is hearing gospel and blues for the first time and the black child in the urban ghetto is hearing the harpsichord and the flute for the first time. Someday, when they grow up, they'll have one more thing in common." - Joe Raposo

Happy Friday everyone.

9 comments:

Connie said...

I love, love, love OLD Sesame Street! Can't wait to see what other memories you come up with!

La Belle Mere said...

Aaaah, Sesame Street.... them were the days... Luckily we got Sesame Street in England to so I can remember all this stuff. Not sure how I feel about being described as Vintage though!

Loving that quote at the end. How very true!

LBM xxx

mamma b said...

I grew up on Sesame Street. For my kids they barely know what show I am talking about. There is nothing like the good ol' days!

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

Diversity at it's best...and I think it's GREAT!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I was stunned, recently, when my 4 and 5 year old thought that they were too old for Sesame Street. "Sesame Street" is for babies, they said. I was shocked. I watched Sesame Street at their age and LOVED it. And then I sat down and truly watched it with them and tried to put aside my "vintage" glasses and see what they were seeing. Elmo, Zoe, and crew have dumbed down Sesame Street. It's more for toddlers now rather than preschoolers. I hated to admit it, but my kids were right. I sure miss the old Sesame Street.

robin said...

Great clips from the show that taught my generation how to read! (And I am proud of it!)

Melinda said...

"Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest"

Great post, and a great idea.

Widge said...

hi I just found you through SITS. I loved the counting song that was a pin ball machine..."12345 678910 11 12222222222222222"

Unknown said...

We rarely got Sesame Street here in Ireland but I remember it fondly. Have not seen the new version yet.

That is a wonderful quote - thanks for sharing.

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails