/*NSG-M2*/ /*NSG-M2*/

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sundays in My City - Savannah and Environs

As usual on Sunday, I take you on a tour around my city (or country, since it's so small) courtesy of Unknown Mami. Today, I'm taking you to the outskirts of the Trinidad's capital city Port of Spain. Let's start at the Savannah.

The Queen's Park Savannah is a wide open space that is also the World's Largest Roundabout, 2.2 miles around. It is the city's largest park, and many people use the outer track for jogging. There are also cricket, rugby and football (international football, not American) pitches there which are heavily used on weekends. Every Easter there are kite flying competitions there - maybe I'll have some photos of those next Easter.


Popular around "the Savannah" are the coconut vendors. The tops of the young coconuts are cut off, and you can drink the sweet coconut water (with a straw if you like), and even scoop out the coconut jelly to eat afterward. Chilled coconut water is really good after a run. :-)


There are some famous landmarks around the Savannah - the Maginificent Seven. They are some old historic buildings built in the 1900s, most of which are sadly falling into disrepair. I tried to snap some photos of them that weren't too sad. :-)

This is the Queen's Royal College, built in 1902 and recently renovated. It's a high school or secondary school for boys, with many notable alumni.

This is Ambar's House built in the French Baroque style with marble imported from Italy (I imagine this was no small feat in the 1900s).
This is the Roman Catholic Archbishop's residence, right next to...


... White Hall, the office of the Prime Minister.

A forlorn Stollmeyer's Castle is undergoing renovations, but you can still imagine its former grandeur.

The Emperor Valley Zoo and Botanic Gardens are next as we continue our trip around the Savannah. This is the Bandstand at the edge of the Royal Botanic Gardens, a popular place for bridal party photo shoots.

We've almost completed our trip around the Savannah, as we head along the southern border, we find a set of steeldrums (waiting to be played perhaps?)....

... just opposite to the entrance of the Memorial Park created to commemorate those fallen during the First and Second World Wars.

And that rounds off our tour for today!

Next week - the Queen's Park Oval.

Please visit Unknown Mami and others for tours of other cities around the world.
Unknown Mami

15 comments:

Joanna Jenkins said...

Thanks for a great tour of your capital. It's a lovely place filled with character and interesting building. I especially like the castle! I'll be back for next week's tour!
xo

2Wired2Tired said...

What a great tour! I learned quite a bit, especially about coconuts. The pictures were neat too. I really enjoyed this post and will look forward to next week's!

Amy said...

Thanks for the tour. My favorite was the castle too.

Sonya said...

I LOVED the castle picture! It looks so bright and sunny there..I love it! Happy Sunday!!

Helen McGinn said...

That car parked in the road is leaning quite a bit; is that road on a slope? Gorgeous pics; the school looked familiar, I wonder who the architect was?

Nicole @ WhenDidIBecomeMyMom.com said...

Thanks ladies!
@Helen, yes the road slopes on either side toward the pavement. It's very common here as a result of the torrential rainfall in the rainy season. It lets the water quickly run off the roadway and into the drains.

The college was designed by D. M. Hahn. He also designed the Parliament building - the Red House.

Sara said...

I have yet to visit Savannah, but it is definitely on my to do list, and your tour might've helped to shoot it up into the Top 5. So, thank you!

(Visiting from SITS)

brainella said...

Gorgeous place. Thanks for the tour! That Bandstand is so picturesque. I love it.

Claudya Martinez said...

I love coconut water! I haven't had any in years.

Thank you for another fantastic tour.

Mandee said...

Lovely photos! It looks like a great place to live.

Melissa said...

Absolutely beautiful! Loved it!

Mrs4444 said...

Amazing. I often wish I could be a fly on the wall back in the day, when those homes were at their best. So beautiful and full of history!

ymK said...

Thanks so much for giving this tour. Can't wait for next week's!

Dumb Mom said...

You live in a gorgeous place. I always forget to participate in this event, not that where I live is all that nice to behold, but still. Thanks for sharing:)

Christina - Rant Rave Roll said...

Those are some beautiful buildings and great architecture.

Stopping in to welcome you to SITS. So glad you joined us.

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails