Sitting down to get it done though, my heart just wasn't in it. My head and heart are somewhere else right now. Every year at this time, I collect donations from co-workers and friends and neighbours. It's for a very worthy cause. The less fortunate in our community, with a special focus on children.
It started very simply - a friend was collecting non-monetary gifts to donate to the church to help the needy. She wasn't too happy with the "needy" who turned up (dressed better than she was, I might add).
I had this desire, as did others, to give something back, but what? I wanted to ensure that it reached the right target, not people who were taking advantage of the system, but those who truly had a need and were forgotten.
We talked about it, and the next thing I knew she told me she had been meeting with a State social worker who told her about families who really could do with the help. Families for whom State help A terminally-ill single mother of a teenager and young child. A family with 8 children who lived in a one-room house in the most rural of places, where sometimes the children just can't get to school. People who live where an ambulance can't even get to you in time when you unexpectedly go into labour. A family living in a structure of shored-up galvanized iron sheets, which was literally like living in an oven when the sun is overhead.
We try to brighten the holidays for these children. Through kind donations she single-handedly purchases tons of gifts for them, and the food hampers she puts together always include a few special luxuries other than the regular staples. I always think, "But for the Grace of God, there go I..."
Sadly, I am sure that in your community there are families who could use your help as well. If you are able to, please help in whatever small way you can. Social support systems are different from country to country, and many of you will be able to easily connect with those who directly work with the needy.
For those who need suggestions, perhaps you could start with a nearby church.
Volunteer for a soup-kitchen day, giving of your time or donations.
Give the gift of Water to families in developing countries who lose loved ones every day to diseases communicated through contaminated water (thanks Stephanie for sharing this).
These are not beautiful pictures. But they are real. My sincere hope is that they touch your heart and move you to take some small action to help another family less fortunate than yours.







9 comments:
Thanks for sharing these with us. Food for thought, for sure!
I want to apologize for not commenting more often. For some reason I can only view your site on my laptop because since your blog change, my pc's freeze up when I pull it up :(
I do think that all of us can do something more to help in our communities than we're doing now. Thank you for raising awareness.
I love giving people cows or drinking water for Christmas via heifer international rather than another worthless knick-knack. Thanks for the wisdom. Food for thought for sure.
Kindness begets kindness.
I'm so relieved I can read your blog again! For some reason, I was having the hardest time reading your blog and commenting. The whole page wouldn't open up and then it would just freeze on me to where I had to actually shut my computer down to start over. Wierd. I'm viewing it now in Firefox so maybe it was a problem on my end.
Anyway, the pictures are good reminders that we do need to help others in need. We're planning to donate canned goods to our local food bank.
What a touching post and a perfect reminder to help others in need. Thank you.
xo
Thank you for shareing this!! Back home they had all kinds of things to help others out and it's something that shouldnt be forgotten about..at christmas time or anytime for that matter.
I applaud you and thank you for calling attention to this.
YES!!!! love this.
we love volunteering as a family through out the year and are searching for more opportunities now as the holidays approach. need is so real and everywhere. thanks for posting this!
Post a Comment