/*NSG-M2*/ /*NSG-M2*/

Monday, November 23, 2009

Monday's Muse - Moko Jumbies

When I was a child, I was exposed to a myriad of traditional local characters that were part of the culture of Carnival here. Born of circumstances where slaves mocked their "owners" and yet deeply associated with the idea of religion vs spiritual temptation, the masks and disguises of these characters could range from comical to downright frightening.

Some though, were simply mysterious. As if they hid some knowledge or awareness that we weren't privy to. Some secret cultural symbolism that we could sense, and observe in awe, but never truly be a part of.

One of these was the Moko Jumbie - the stilt-walkers. They were awesome - in a more literal sense of the word. They embodied Power and Grace - with their height and unexpectedly fluid movement, their size emphasized by the flowing garments they wore.

Of all the traditional characters, the Moko Jumbie is the only one popular enough to be in demand not only during the Carnival season, but year-round.

Moko Jumbies practicing in Cocorite, Trinidad


And now immortalized on children's educational television.


On Noggin


Today's Monday Muse - the evolution of the Moko Jumbie from feared symbols of "heathen" cultures to mainstream representation of the balance of Grace and Power.

his was my Monday Muse, hosted by Cinnamon and Honey. Check her out for more Monday Muses.


1581884212_57276dd550_o


2 comments:

Dumb Mom said...

I'm certain that I was born to participate in Carnival. I'd be a perfect reveler.

And, remember a while back when I said something about writing about you, only when you came over to my blog there was nothing, and you probably all confused and curious about what I meant. Or perhaps you were mad at me for tricking you?

Well, forgive me now because it's there and you should read it because I think you will like it.

Mandee said...

How cool! Thanks for explaining that. We love the one that plays on Noggin (as I have told you in the past it is my 18 month old's favorite!) Love it!:)

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails